Saturday, May 17, 2014

Jorge Macottela

Photo by: Paulina Suastegui

Jorge Macottela
(Dj Sharp)

Mexico City
Website: https://www.facebook.com/jorge.macottela
                https://www.facebook.com/InGothWeTrust2012

email: sharp_goth@hotmail.com
sharp_goth@icloud.com

Biography
I am grateful with the universe for putting me in the right place and give me all in the time and right place. I belong to the new generation of underground movement basically gothic rock, postpunk, cold wave. I grew up with hard musical influence of a glad parents of alternative rock and what is now known as 80 's, bands like A-Ha, David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys, Blondie, Depeche Mode and among other more, which that was dragging me movement punk- ska I used to hear. Often with my 16 years I used to visited a famous flea market here in the city of mexico called "el chopo" where you can get t-shirts , cds, vinylos and interact with people of your same musical tastes, what i always wanted and still do is to relate with people older than me cause always i been interested in the beginning of the goth and what the think actually , and most people in that dates were struggling to get music and at that time was very, very difficult because everything was on cassettes and vinyl that was a problem for to get music in mexico. I 've heard a lot about that was a problem because they had to record over and over again, and another fortune if not because as of today is far too easy to get music but otherwise i always have had  the ideology that if you really like what are you doing actually you must support it hard even when you are criticized sometimes for some  people like i were, but that cornered me even more to have strong and clear ideology of what you want and that also consist in what are you wearing and that you must have very clear what it means. Within this movement there are people who have a love of music like buy music, make partys or even concerts but otherwise people that really love the outfits and how the clothes looks all of this is great for me cause we are all one family that binds us one passion that is the musica. In other hand the way we should also support the artist is buying the original music more if you are a dj or so, which undoubtedly led me to try to get as high as possible in vinyls , cds and cassets . (It's a addiction )

I could tell a thousand experiences before to meet and after my insight into the gothic genre but i will be quickly, i remember when a friend in an exchange of cds gaveme the magnificent band called "The Damned" the Cd  was called damned damned damned , which to me seemed a magnificent view punk band with a vocalist makeup ( a vampire ) amazing!! definitely started hearing more of the samned and that dragged me to bands like sisters of mercy , the mission , all of the first generation and i still think that was the best thing that could ever happened to me, i had a good start.

My development was calling me for more and more and I never been conformist and always said that the new generations and projects need friends ; was in 2009 with 20 years when i had  the idea of ​​leaving my country alone just with my own , and meet new reviews, countries , people and festivals which the first european festival that I attended was the " wave gotik treffen " that since then i ve become it in  a tradition and that it has led to me to  tremendous experience for me that i could relate to very important and helpful people in the world goth also like being part of some parties as a dj in barcelona, bucharest , berlin and of course in mexico city.

Bring to my country what I ve seen it has been always my homework because mexico city is a strong part in this world and genre, can say that mexico has a good level of goth movimen, always is better the quality than quantity and is exactly what is happening in some citys where i have been a few goths for really stronge!

Currently i am a part of a project that born in the finish of June 2013 which is called” In Goth We Trust ” that was formed by one of my best friends and one of the firsts gothics in mexico city who lived the evolution of gothic in the late 90's, its worth to mention you Lady Palmolive (Tilo) you are of the few who is quite honest and have a clear perspective of the gothic without any purpose and  also my best friend Tracy Sputnik that i really appreciate all your support and together we have given a strong impetus to this project in order to maintain the essence of gothic rock where one of the main european cities berlin it was made the first event that we called "Mictlan  - lugar de los muertos" is a prehispanic name  what means "the place of the dead" where  everybody of us will be some day.

Many projects are on target and keep trying more things.

Goth is my god.!!

From the second wave to the third wave:

In my particular opinion this third wave of genres talking about more of gothic rock, postpunk and as well the strong rises of minimal, brings with it a nice new ideas and stuff that are really good worked. It seems that the actually bands have really clear what they want to do making new stuff but never leaving the sound and atmosphere of the old school.

In a some way for me now is when gothic rock starts to get what was loosing, many new great bands are rising, other ones from the first generations are starting to work in their new music even changing the sound of what we were get use, some of them making synth minimal or cold wave, that as well sounds really great. Is a good augury because people is getting involved in the new ideas and in the new projects that are quite great. I always think that the work of the people that really like to make event, concerts or whatever is just about to give the chance to the new generations and keeping this as alive as we can.

Favorite 15 records of the new millennium:

THE DAMNED -  GRAVE DISORDER
FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM - CEREMONIES
THE CHAMELEONS - WHY CALL IT ANYTHING
PINK TURNS BLUE - GHOST
KILLING JOKE - ABSOLUTE DISSENT
AEON SABLE  - SATURN RETURN
RED SUN REVIVAL -  RUNNING FROM THE DOWN
SWEET ERMENGARDE - RAYNHAM HALL
ANGELS OF LIBERTY - PINNACLE OF THE DRACO
ULTERIOR - WILD IN WILDLIFE
TERMINAL GODS - LESSON ON FIRE
SHE PAST AWAY - KASVETLI KUTLAMA
MERCIFUL NUNS- XIBALBA lll
SOROR  DOLOROSA - NO MORE HEROES
LEBANON HANOVER - WHY NOT JUST BE SOLO

Favorite 20 records of all time:

THE DAMNED - DAMNED DAMNED DAMNED
THE DAMNED - PHANTASMAGORIA
SISTERS OF MERCY - FLOOD ll
SISTERS OF MERCY - FIRST LAST AND ALWAYS
NOSFERATU - the PROPHECY
NOSFERATU - RISE
FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM- THE NEPHILIM
ROSETTA STONE - AN EYE FOR THE MAIN CHANCE
LOVE LIKE BLOOD - AN IRONY OF FATE
THE MARCH VIOLETS - NATURAL HISTORY
THE MERRY THOUGHTS - MILLENNIUM DONE l
JOY DIVISION - CLOSER
THE MISSION - GODS OWN MEDICINE
BAUHAUS - MASK
DAVID BOWIE - SPACE ODDITY
CHRISTIAN DEATH - ONLY THEATER OF PAIN
KILLING JOKE - NIGHT TIME
THE CHAMELEONS - STRANGE TIMES
GENE LOVE JEZEBEL - THE HOUSE OF DOLLS
ECHO AND THE BUNNEN - CROCODILES